Hello, I'm Allison Bruce
I am a scientific illustrator and artist based in the San Francisco bay area. I grew up in northern California with a love of science and drawing. After receiving my bachelor's degree in chemistry, and while working in a lab, I found I badly needed a creative outlet so I began taking art classes.
Combining art and science has given me a tremendous opportunity to work with members of the biotechnology community: designing presentations, publication figures, and creating cover art for several journals including Cell and Nature.
Each time I create an illustration or design, I have to understand the ideas being portrayed and translate them into a visual language. It is this translation which is the most creative and challenging part of what I do — if I am successful, it is the synthesis of ideas that is the true art in my work.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Bachelor of Science, chemistry — University of California, Davis
- Design, illustration, & animation studies — Academy of Art University, San Francisco
- 3D modeling and texturing using Autodesk Maya — San Francisco State College of Extended Learning, San Francisco
- Internship — Heritage Malta, Bighi, Malta (formerly the Malta Centre for Restoration and Conservation), Architectural Conservation / Documentation Division
Assisted with measurements and AutoCAD diagrams of the historic Lazzaretto Hospital in Malta.
- Sr. Graphics Specialist — Genentech, Inc.
Responsible for creating animations, illustrations, and technical drawings for the Research and Bioinformatics departments, in addition to providing executive presentation support.
Skills & Knowledge Areas: Software
Illustration & Design
• After Effects
Groups and Associations
Member: Association of Medical Illustrators
Scientific Art – some of the scientific journals that have featured my artwork include:
- Cancer Cell
- Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Nature Biotechnology
- Science Translational Medicine
- Trends in Molecular Medicine
- Stuff It! written by Sara K., illustrated by A. K. Bruce
- Keep Your Hair On! written by Sara K., illustrated by A. K. Bruce
Exhibitions, Honors, and Awards
- Participant: Annual Silicon Valley Open Studios since 2012
- Participant: Art Science Fusion Project
I was one of several artists invited to participate in a group exhibition developed by Gabriele Seethaler, unveiled during the 5th International Annaberg Conference, Schloss Goldegg, Salzburg, Austria. Additional exhibitions included showings at L'Università di Roma La Sapienza, and Harvard University, Boston, MA.
- Honorable mention: Academy of Art University, annual Spring Show
- President’s Honor Roll: Academy of Art University